Tuesday, October 7, 2008

She held my sock!

Need I say more?

Well, I suppose for those of you who might not be knitters, I should. This is Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, aka The Yarn Harlot. Actor Greg Kinnear was on Late Night with Conan O'Brien the other night and referred to her as "the Michael Jordan of knitting." She's an amazing knitter and writer. Her blog has won all sorts of awards, including Best Canadian Blog. She's written half a dozen books, all but one of which I've read (only because I just got it tonight!).

I've been lucky enough to see her twice this year at Third Place Books (my absolute favorite local bookstore and frequent hangout spot), and both times the place was packed - standing room only. Last time I didn't have the time or the gumption to stand in line to meet her, but this time I did. Maybe that had something to do with the selection Stephanie read from her new book, Free Range Knitter. What she said about how the seemingly small accomplishments of knitting can spill over into the rest of life, about how knitting can silence - or at least muffle - the voice of our inner critic, really resonated with me. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that I'm a better person for being a knitter. Yes, it relaxes me, it gives me a creative outlet, it challenges me, it connects me to other people - all good things. But the essay Stephanie read tonight captured another whole aspect of this business that others see as nothing but sticks and string. I can't wait to read the rest.

1 comment:

Jeannine said...

Oh yes, it is a thrill that she held your sock. I got to hold HER sock when she came in April and I didn't wait in the line this time in Oct....fun to meet you today at Joann's!! Fun to see your site and beagles!
Jeannine